Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giving thanks...

This is one weird Thanksgiving. I'm home for the first time in years.

In the years since my mom moved to the midwest in the late 90's, I've spent every Thanksgiving with a dear friend in San Diego who's like the sister I never had, and her family has become my second family. It's become a cherished tradition, even when she forces me to get up in the middle of the night on Black Friday to go shopping (heh. it's actually very fun with this crew, and they put up with my whining about needing caffeine oh so desperately...).

But this year, my boss is out of the country on this holiday, and I can't really be out of driving range of work in case something big happens. I work in a 24/7 business, and big things can happen at any time. So I'm home.

I had planned to spend the day visiting with other dear friends in the area that I don't see nearly enough, but had to cancel out because I'm sick! That's almost an annual tradition, too, with me getting some nasty respiratory thing around Thanksgiving (one year it was PNEUMONIA) or Christmas. Last year, I made it through the entire holiday and cold & flu season without catching anything, which I credit to my regular use of a neti pot. But something got me this week, so here I am on Thanksgiving day on my couch, in pajamas, blowing my nose endlessly and OD'ing on Mucinex and Sudafed (for which I am thankful!).

But I'm not sitting here feeling sorry for myself. I mean, of course, I'd much rather be laughing and eating with friends than spending the day solo and sick, but I have SO much to be thankful for that I can't work up any self-pity.

I have my health (mostly!). I have a roof over my head and food on my table (including the gluten-free stuffing I'll be making for myself later). I have employment in my chosen profession. I live in a city I love, and get to visit places I love almost as much. I get to do a lot of very fun things in my spare time. But most important, I have amazing people in my life who put up with me and love me and restore my faith in humanity on a daily basis. I am consistently awed by my loved ones.

I'm very lucky, and very thankful. My cup runneth over. Happy Thanksgiving!

->